Oct 27, 2014

Is Your “Age-Appropriate” Chore Chart Setting the Bar Too Low?

We’ve all seen the charts for age-appropriate chores floating around the Internet, like this one:

Age-Appropriate-Chores-for-Children1

 via www.flandersfamily.info

 Now, keeping in mind that I’m 33 years old and I haven’t even done some of the things on this list (simple home repairs? wash car? I was raised in a city apartment, if that’s any excuse), I find this list very motivating.

In fact, why stop here? I can think of many more chores that I would like my kids to do for me do in order to instill critical life skills and a sense of responsibility. Let’s aim high, people. Disinfecting doorknobs, whatever that means, never got anyone into Harvard.

Here’s my revised version of the above list:

Age 1

(Why did that other chore chart only start at age 2? That’s a whole year of freeloading missed development!)

Ages 2-3

Ages 4-5

Ages 6-7

Ages 8-9

Ages 10-11

Ages 12-13

Ages 13

There you have it.  Stop hindering your children with sticking to chore charts that don’t tap into their nascent potential.  Dream big, Mama!